Thursday, July 11, 2013

September 15, 2007- Evening- Peeing on the Road

 
Banabas
After dinner a young boy showed up at the front gate.  He said his name was Banabas and he was wearing dingy pants and a clean black and orange locally made dress shirt.  He says he’s 17, although he looks closer to 13.  He told us that his parents died of AIDS and his 70-year-old Grandfather can’t take care of him anymore.  We sent word to Edem and waited for him to arrive. Kids are supposed to be referred by a social worker or we can get in trouble with the government.  Edem came quickly and talked with the boy.  He made sure he was fed well and tried to send him home, explaining that he would need to talk to the boy’s family and a social worker, but it was late and no tro tro was going to his village tonight. 

Mauli arrived and after much debate and discussion Edem decided to try to find the social worker to see if the kid could stay the night and if we can send him home in the morning and start the process soon.  Banabus could very well be telling the truth, or his family is pawning him off on HardtHaven hoping for a handout, so it must be investigated.  Edem called up another friend who arrived in a new car.  As he, the friends, and John hopped in, Edem turned to me and firmly commanded that I “be a good mother and stay with the kids.” Chauvinism aside, I’ve been in this house all day.  All WEEK.  I barely leave and today was a struggle.  And now it’s just me here.  Well, me… and Sister Matilda.

I swallowed it, though, turned on my heel, and chose a story to read.  Diapered and tucked in the twins.  Checked the homework.  Corralled the older children and oversaw while they cleaned up the office and porch for the millionth time that day. 

Minua took Nancy’s hand and lead her off to bed only to end up hollering at her so loudly we could hear from inside the office.  She was barking in Ewe and little Nancy was sniffling and sobbing.  When I walked in Nancy was just standing there, shoulders slumped and a confused look on her face while Minua lectured.  Nancy doesn’t sleep in diapers because they’re too expensive, but she often wets the bed.  Minua is her older sister, so she has to clean it up and she’s sick of it.  Understandably, but yelling at Nancy won’t make her stop wetting the bed.  I explained this to Minua, who was still irritated at me for putting her in time out earlier and all but refused to listen.  She stomped off, passing Elikplim in the doorway.  He sat on the bed next to Nancy and me and started singing.  Nancy stopped sniffling while we folded up a bed sheet and tied it to her bottom half.  She cuddled up and drifted off to Elikplim’s lullabye, me with a lump in my throat.  Just when you think you can’t take it anymore, a little boy sings an orphaned baby to sleep.

John returned alone with permission for Banabus to stay the night and once the older kids were settled in their dorms he and I headed out to the Maxi Spot. 

Big Stars in hand, we bonded over memories of home.  Tim, another Peace Corps volunteer, Frank (an ex-pat who married a local woman and can often be found riding his son around town on his motorcycle, both helmet-less), and another German guy were across the street at another Spot.  John talked me into visiting with them, although I was still sore at Tim for the Vacation Volunteer incident.  I promised to stop being a brat, and we ended up talking about the same topic as last time, but with a positive spin.  We discussed the new-ness of the home, volunteer expectations versus reality, what should happen to keep the home going, and what we all could actually actually do about it.  Small small.

John and I both peed on the side of the road on the way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment