Tuesday, January 15, 2013

September 7, 2007- Laundry

September 7, 2007
Morning

When I came out to collect my fried egg breakfast from a very surly Sister Matilda, I found the children playing FourSquare!  Elikplim was clearly in charge of the game, announcing when a player was “out” and shuffling them from one square to the next.  Even though he was bossy, he was fair – he went to the end of the line with no excuses when he misplayed the ball himself.

Elikplim and his younger brother, Israel, who was so quiet in comparison to the other boys that I almost didn’t realize he was playing, lived at their Aunt’s house down the road before coming to HardtHaven.  Not long ago they lost their mother to AIDs and their father went missing.  A social worker referred 11 year old Israel, who then begged Edem to take in his older brother, too.  Elikplim was working his fingers to the bone as a “house boy,” cooking, cleaning, and raising his baby cousin.  Both boys are really sweet and helpful around the home with chores. 

Speaking of doing chores; today was laundry day, which I will never ever complain about ever again at home.  Laundry here is done by hand, bent over a bucket of Omo suds.  Omo is a powdered detergent that also might actually eat flesh.  Sister Francesca set me up with two buckets – wash and rinse -- and demonstrated; her hands expertly scrubbing and flipping so furiously that the dirt was scared and splashed out right before my eyes.  “Like this” she commanded, handing me the filthy t-shirt on the top of the pile.  My turn.  I rubbed and dunked, dunked and twisted, twisted rubbed and dunked.  There was giggling.  I splashed and sloshed, and rubbed and dunked again.  My arms got tired, so I plopped my first victim back in the soapy tub, leaned back and inadvertently let out an audible sigh, which sent the giggler over the edge.  I squinted into the sun at Edem, who had magically appeared, stopping by as he does now and again to check on everyone.

“American woman doing laundry!” he squeaked out before doubling over in hysterics. 

I was so terrible at the chore that he assigned eight year old Kafui to supervise.  As Kafui re-washed everything right after me, I asked him questions about himself.  He wants to be a bank manager when he grows up, and he likes playing basketball, making paper airplanes with volunteers, and drawing.  He doesn’t know when his birthday is or where he is from.  His file in the office doesn’t list those things either.  He was found by social workers, covered head-to-toe with ring-worm, selling firewood on the side of a busy highway.  No one knows much else about him, other than that he’s “sick.” 

Kafui and I hung the laundry on the line to dry under a sun that could sprout melanoma in ten seconds flat but for my SPF 70, and then joined the throng for lunch.  Sister Matilda unceremoniously plunked down four pounds of boiled yam garnished with oily tomato paste, flecks of soggy cabbage, and tongue-numbing chili in front of me.  I couldn’t choke it all down so she glared at me as I dragged myself off to my room for a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment